What is a Botox treatment?
Botox is preferred by many in The Woodlands as their main anti-aging treatment because it is so effective in softening the appearance of lines and wrinkles that deepen with our facial expressions.
How does Botox work?
- Botulinum toxin, or Botox, minimizes the muscle activity that causes lines by blocking the neurotransmitters that tell the muscles to contract.
- When a muscle does not contract, as a result, the skin above it loosens and smooths without wrinkles.
- Botox typically lasts three to four months, inhibiting muscle flexing in facial areas such as lower central forehead, the upper forehead, and around the eyes.
What are the first steps in a Botox treatment?
- Dr. Nangrani will carefully assess you and make sure that you are a qualified candidate for the Botox treatment.
- Botulinum toxin should not be used in pregnant or lactating women, or by people who have had a previous allergic reaction to the drug or any of its ingredients.
- Then the doctor will assess the areas of your face that need to be injected with Botox.
How is Botox administered?
- Botox is administered by first diluting the powder in saline and injecting it directly into neuromuscular tissue.
- Dr. Nangrani at Vedas Medical Spa will administer small injections of Botox in the precise locations on your face that she and you decided in your consultation.
- The treatment does not usually take long.
When will I know that Botox is working?
- It takes 24-48 hours for Botox to take effect.
- The effects of your Botox treatment will last up to 4 months.
After Your Botox Injection
Good aftercare is very important for getting the results you want following your Botox treatment. To avoid problems:
- Repetitively flex the injected area for a few hours after treatment to work the Botox into the muscle.
- Do not rub your face or have any kind of face massage within 24 hours after your treatment to avoid moving Botox into unplanned areas.
- Avoid bending down or lying down for 4 hours post-treatment
- Sleep on your back; don’t sleep on your face.
- Do not perform strenuous exercises for 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not use large amounts of alcohol.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen, or blood-thinning medications; use Tylenol for pain.
- Postpone your microdermabrasion, laser hair removal, electrolysis, and other treatments for at least 24 hours.
- If you have swelling or bruising on your face, apply cool compresses.
- Apply topical vitamin K and arnica for Botox bruises.
- Go back for touch-ups if you need it or are unsatisfied with your results.