Preparing For Hair Transplant
Just like with any other surgery, doing the right preparation before a hair transplant procedure is vital. You will have thoroughly discussed your hair transplant during your consultation.
If you color your hair, recolor a few days before the procedure. After the procedure, you must wait 6-8 weeks before you can color your hair again using a semi-permanent color. Permanent hair color can be used 3 months after your surgery.
Two weeks before procedure
- Stop taking medications or supplements that contain aspirin, ibuprofen, herbs, or Vitamin E.
- To help with healing, start taking 1000mg of Vitamin C three times a day and start taking 4 pellets of Arnica twice a day.
One week before procedure
- Refrain from alcohol, which makes you more likely to bleed during the procedure.
- Refrain from smoking and nicotine products. Nicotine constricts blood vessels, hindering oxygen-rich blood from getting to the surgery site.
- Stop using Rogaine products.
- Refrain from coloring your hair after a few days before procedure.
Night before procedure
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo the day before surgery, not the day of the procedure.
- Be sure to have picked up all your prescriptions; bring them to the appointment.
- Be sure to have arranged for transportation to and from our facility.
Day of procedure
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Wear a button-down shirt or something easily removable.
- Consider what hairstyle you will wear for your procedure. The donor site will be shaved down to skin level.
- A short haircut will show your surgery site.
- A long haircut will let us comb your hair over the donor site and provide camouflage.
- Smoking is strongly prohibited as this will delay your wound healing time.
During the procedure
- Bring your own books or music.
- You may use the restroom at any time.
- We will break for lunch if your procedure is a long one.
- Friends and family are not allowed in the surgery room, but they can visit and check your progress.
If you want more information about how the procedure works, make sure you consult us here at Vedas Med Spa.
Vedas is 10 minutes from I-45 (Houston’s North Freeway) and a step off The Woodlands Parkway. We look forward to hearing from you.