What is Kombucha and is it good for me?
Here’s the 101 on Kombucha and you most definitely need to incorporate this secret weapon into your well-being toolbox! This fizzy beverage is full of a wealth of health benefits.
What is fermentation?
When bacteria break down a substance, the substance ferments. Yeast or other microorganisms kick off this process. Fermentation is a metabolic process that produces chemical changes in organic substrates through the action of enzymes. Biochemistry narrowly defines fermentation as the extraction of energy from carbohydrates in the absence of oxygen.
What are the benefits of Kombucha?
- The base of Kombucha is green or black tea and is low in caffeine
- Filled with probiotics like lactic acid
- Improves blood sugar
- Protects liver
- May be high in sugar
- Includes vitamins like vitamins B, C, A, Zinc, Copper, Iron, and Manganese
What are the downsides of Kombucha?
- Bloating due to the effervescent nature of the beverage
- May contain caffeine, because it contains tea
- May contain trace alcohol due to the fermentation process
- Contains carbohydrate compounds FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides, and polyols)
Where are we located?
Vedas Medical Spa and Wellness Center is minutes from Interstate 45 (Houston’s North Freeway) in The Woodlands. So easy to find, so easy to get to! We look forward to seeing you and your child soon!